My Family

My Family

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Lot Has Happened Since My Last Post

*~*~* I'm Engaged! *~*~*

So after 11 years with John, I decided to make him an honest man by asking him to marry me. I know it's not the traditional way things are suppose to happen but I had fun doing it.

There was a lot of drama going on with John's nephew recently and it made me realize how lucky I am to have John in my life. So I called Mom to talk to her about everything that was going and to tell her of my idea to ask John to marry me. She was really excited! After speaking with Mom, I decided to call John's Mom and tell her what I was thinking. She was really excited too. She said that she had been praying for this for years. So I asked her for her permission to marry John.

I didn't know how to go about asking him to marry me. Should I do it the regular way and just ask him? I didn't know. I wanted to make it special and make sure he knew that I was serious. So I 'googled' it. This one web site said to give the guy a token. Their suggestion was a motorcycle. Uhmmm, yeah...

It did give me an idea though... John's Mom had given him his Dad's wedding band, maybe I could use that. I called John's Mom back and asked if I could borrow the wedding band. I told her I was worried that he might not think that I was serious and that I was just goofing around so the ring would help show I was serious.

I decided that since I was the one doing the asking that it should be simple, I'll ask him at dinner. I usually decide where we are going to eat when we eat out. I'm not sure why, but it always happens this way. Dinner was going to be on a Saturday, so I asked John early that week to start thinking about where we were going to dinner on Saturday. It was his turn and he needed to pick something. He ended up picking this Italian restaurant that we like.

Saturday finally arrived. The boys were spending the weekend with their Dad, so John and I had it to ourselves. I thought the best time to ask him was after the main course while we were waiting for dessert. For our appetizers we ordered mozzarella sticks and garlic bread that comes with this yummy dipping sauce that's like marinara but creamier, sooo good. After the soup course I wasn't sure if I was even going to be able to eat the main course... I was stuffed. This is a real Italian restaurant and their portions could feed a family of four. Plus, I was getting more and more nervous and time went on. I was feeling a full blown panic attack coming on.

We both struggled through our main courses because we had eaten so much already. It was just easier to get 'to go' boxes and eat it later on that evening or the next day. While the waiter was getting the boxes and getting our dessert (they have the BEST cheesecake), I told him how much I love him and how I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I pulled out the box that I put the ring in and asked him to marry me. He didn't say anything at first, my heart was pounding and then he said yes.

So now we are engaged! We are going to get married on March 17, 2012. March 17th is the day of our first date and the day that we celebrate our anniversary on every year. Seems right to keep the same date.

The drama of having a wedding or going to the court will come later on. This post is already long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment